September 2022

September 23rd 2022

My surgeons letter has arrived to let me know that I am category 2. Semi-urgent apparently. I should expect a letter soon with an appointment date to meet the surgeon. Then, depending on that outcome, I will know how long before my surgery. Things are moving….slowly….but they’re moving. 

September 1st 2022

You’ll remember from last month, that I had a benign tumour removed from the crown of my head.  Well, this month, we move to another part of the anatomy – my thyroid. In 2020, I noticed that I had a lump in my neck. Now having had cancer once before, it’s the first thing you think of. I hot-footed it to the Drs who sent me for an ultrasound scan.

 

The scan confirmed multiple polyps on my thyroid and due to the size of one of them, it was necessary for me to have an F.N.A. or for you non-medical folk…a fine needle aspiration.   Two inconclusive FNAs later and the fact that it was asymptomatic led to the decision to ‘watch and wait’.

Then Cowdens Syndrome reared it’s ugly head so it was time for a referral to the endocrinologist. After the introductory appointment and examination, I was sent for a further ultrasound so it could be compared to the one completed in 2020. The instruction given was that If it had grown 30% or more, action had to be taken.

You’re not going to need to be a magician to guess the outcome. Yep, it’s action time. I have been referred to a surgeon and am awaiting that appointment. I have to have a total thyroidectomy. Here’s the kicker…we don’t know what they’re going to find when they operate. The average person has a 4-8% risk of thyroid cancer in their life. For me, having Cowdens, the risk is 5 times that.

So that’s where I am at. Heading for my first surgery for Cowdens and quietly dreading (as anyone would!)  that I may have an underlying cancer. What’s the plan? Surgery. Find out what’s there and deal with it. What else can I do?